Here is a yummy and fairly simple gluten free casserole recipe. It has everything-carbs, dairy, vegetable, and protein, all in one yummy dish!
Gluten free Italian Creamy Pasta and Broccoli
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp non-GMO cornstarch
3 cups GF chicken broth (Trader Joes has a gluten free chicken broth that is also organic, if you don’t make your own because this can be hard to find gluten free!)
8 oz package of cream cheese
1-2 Tbsp GF Italian Dressing Mix (I make my own with a mixture of mostly parsley, garlic powder, onion powder, with a little oregano, salt, and pepper. the original recipe calls for celery flakes and thyme but it tastes fine without, as I didn’t have those on hand)
1 chicken breast, cooked
1 box of GF pasta (I prefer the quinoa-corn blend, because the brown rice bran pasta taste is a bit strong)
1 bag frozen broccoli or 1 head of fresh, steamed
mozzarella cheese for topping
1. Cook the chicken (we just cook or grill lots of chicken in strips at a time and keep it in the freezer, so we can always speed up recipes some with this!)
2. Cook the GF pasta.
3. Steam or microwave the broccoli.
4. Mix the seasonings in a small bowl and sit aside.
5. Melt the butter, then add the cornstarch to make a rue.
6. Then add the chicken broth and bring it to a boil and simmer for about 5 minutes to thicken.
7. Add the cream cheese and seasonings. Simmer until a creamy consistency.
8. Add the cooked chicken and the broccoli to the creamy sauce. Mix with the pasta in a 9×11 casserole pan. Top with mozzarella cheese and bake about 20-30 minutes at 350.
Tips for reheating: add some extra chicken broth to keep the pasta from drying out.